HI

HI

Saturday, April 09, 2011

Creamy Caramelly

My attempt at posting regularly has ended in a fail! It's not my fault, I've been really sick, with pink eye and everything. I'm sure people would love eating pink eye contaminated cookies. Who wouldn't?

A few weeks back I made Creme Caramel. I loved it. It was actually a success. Sadly I was so eager to eat it that I didn't take any after photos. *Tear* Sorry Guys. You can enjoy these wonderful photo of me melting sugar. *hahaha* The recipe is listed below...enjoy:)


this is what the creme caramels looked like pre-oven.

Creme Caramels
Makes six 6-ounce creme caramels

2 cups sugar
3 cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 whole eggs
2 egg yolks

Preheat the oven to 325 °F. Using 1 1/2 cups of sugar, prepare the caramel (see method below). Pour just enough caramel into six 6-ounce ramekins to cover the bottoms with a think layer. Avoid getting any on the sides of the ramekins. Bring the milk to a simmer in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add the vanilla. In a bowl. whisk the remaining 1/2 sugar with the eggs and egg yolks for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture is slightly pale. Use a whisk to stir the hot milk into the egg mixture and stir until the eggs are completely combined with the milk. if you see a lot of froth on the mixture, skim it off with a pastry scraper. If you see specks of egg int eh mixture, strain it through a fine-mesh sieve.

Pour the mixture into the caramel-lined ramekins and arrange the ramekins in a baking dish with sides at least as high as ramekins. Pour enough hot tap water into the baking dis to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until the surface of the custards stay still when you wiggle them back and forth.

Allow to cool for 1 hour at room temperature and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Run a knife around each of the custards to loosen them. Put a rimmed place over a creme caramel and, holding the ramekin firmly against the plate, flip the whole thing over. Give it a quick up and down shake while still holding firmly and lift off the ramekins. Serve cold.

Caramel
Makes 1 cup of caramel

2 cups sugar

To make 1 cup of caramel, place 2 cups of sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium to hight heat and stir continuously with a heavy wooden spoon as the sugar melts and turn colour. The caramel is ready when it is smooth and deep reddish-brown in colour. Use immediately.

On a completely random note. This is what I had for lunch the other day. Grilled cheese and ham sandwich with avocado. Mmm...it was delicious. Needed more butter though:P

Until next time....

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That looks so incredibly good. I would eat it pink-eye contaminated or not. The sandwich looks yummy too! It'll be awesome to make a sandwich like that instead of my beloved PB&J sandwiches that I eat constantly =)